Napkin Sketch Sessions
A place devoted to light bulb moments that come with a lot of impromptu sketching & a little bit of overthinking.
Take time for moments of inspiration.
Session #3 - Buyer's Regret
The rise and fall of 3D TV's was a terrific show to watch. It was like HD-DVD vs. Bluray, except 3D TV's were only competing against one thing: their validity.
I don't know if it was insatiable curiosity or a swell of pity for 3D TV owners, but I compelled to craft new ways to revive 3D technology and landed on a concept that addresses a simple need: what to do when two people can't agree on what to watch?
Fighting over the lone TV is it's own sitcom, but what if it didn't have to be?
CONCEPT BASIS: tWO SHOWS ON ONE TV
- A 3D TV shows two different images - one polarized vertically & one horizontally.
- Each lens of a pair of 3D glasses has a different polarity - one vertical & one horizontal - allowing the right eye to see one image and the left to see another.
- One set of 3D glasses is polarized vertically in both lenses & one is polarized horizontally in both lenses. The end result is people watching the same TV, but seeing two completely different images simultaneously.
CONCEPT TECH: tWO VIDEO SOURCES ON ONE TV
CONCEPT CHALLENGE: DUAL AUDIO SOURCES
My thought for audio was to explore solutions that enhanced the TV watching experience without impeding lifestyle. My solution was a combination of both software & hardware, the latter featuring tech I've been dying to play with for a number of years...
- The hardware would be directional speakers - the kind that produce ultrasonic waves which can only be heard if someone is in their direct path - mounted to an automated articulating fixture that continually point towards a specific user with the help of motion detectors.
- The software would map a three-dimensional space based via motion detection in order to track a specific user and articulate the directional speakers accordingly.
The end result is each user hears their specific audio source and only their specific audio source.
CONCEPT TECH: MULTIPLE, UNIMPEDING AUDIO SOURCES
FINAL CONCEPT SOLUTION
A Base Hub handles signal exchange between a 3D TV and common media players types.
The Speaker Hubs are modular and have slip rings to allow one to connect to and power the next. When multiple consumers watch TV, they would stack additional hubs.